Subsequent to Indian independence the Viceroy's house was renamed Government House and when India became a republic in 1952 it was rechristened as Rashtrapati Bhavan ( President’s Quarters / home). An amalgamation of Mughal and classical European architectural style, it has an enormous copper dome which surmount a extended colonnade and 340 decorated rooms. There are 31 steps at the entry to the portico with 20 columns. Transversely the portico, the Durbar hall (Audience hall), with golden pillars and colored marble from all parts of India, is 23m in diameter and has an gracefully carved 2300 year aged sculpture of the Ashokan bull at the entry. It is the place for all official functions of the President as well as the National Award ceremonies. There is a 4th century statue of Gautam Buddha at the rear the Presidents chair. The hall dished up as a museum for a number of years until the present site of the National Museum was erected.